vendredi 11 mars 2011

Mon Numéro, a new city-exclusive collection by L'Artisan Parfumeur


No, I haven’t been drowned in a vat of ethyl maltol by a bunch of fruitchouli talibans. I’ve been rushing to get off the bulk of my manuscript to my editor … Hence the scant updates for the moment.
 But clearly, I couldn’t resist taking a sniff at Mon Numéro, L’Artisan Parfumeur’s upcoming city-exclusive collection authored by Bertrand Duchaufour.
Some of you may remember that the Mon Numéro fragrances were on offer a while ago as uber-exclusive propositions in L'Artisan Boutiques: once you bought your “number”, you became the corresponding fragrance's sole owner and it was withdrawn from sale. The new concept will give those of us who aren’t oligarchs or their arm-candy a chance at owning any or all of them. Nine retailers in nine cities throughout the world will each sell a city-exclusive "number" from 1 to 10, (minus 2 which found a taker and is therefore no longer available, and 5, for obvious Chanel-related reasons). But the entire collection will be available online and possibly in L’Artisan Parfumeur’s Parisian boutiques. All were composed over the past four years – this isn’t a rush job – and several were re-worked after their initial presentation. Some are stunningly contemporary re-readings of classic genres or notes; a couple were inspired by Bertrand’s trips to South-East Asia and India; one is a tribute to one of the greatest fragrances of the early 20th century.


Mon Numéro will be launched in June: once I’ve worn all of them, I’ll do my little number on each.



Illustration: Zero Nine, Jasper Johns

16 commentaires:

  1. wait a minute, is it mr Duchaufour who has composed all of them? he's clearly a busy bee! I can't wait to read more about theese. Do you have a favorite so far? Could you tell us more? Notes, citys?

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Sara, these were all composed two to four years ago though some have been tweaked, but, yes, he certainly is a very busy guy!
    I haven't been given a huge amount of details about cities because the retailers in each city get to pick which fragrance they want to offer their clients. I know there's New York and Hong Kong for sure. As for the notes... there's a lovely pear-mimosa-musk accord which is the first I'll try out. More later!

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Hmmmm. Sounds interesting. I'm sure I'm completely ignorant but why no number 5? For "obvious reasons" that aren't obvious at all to me, I'm afraid. Thanks.

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. GalileosDaughter11 mars 2011 à 14:21

    Good to see you again! I was wondering when you would come up for air...I'm hoping that this means that everything with the book is going well! Sending you my best.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Debby, Chanel has kind of cornered the market on that numeral -- you're not ignorant, I was just a little too cryptic!

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. GalileosDaughter, thank you. I'll know whether everything's going well when my editor gives me her input! But rushing to work in the edits she requested when we last met, and translating a pretty tricky book on modern French art... I was barely sleeping as it was.
    Wearing my sample of Mon Numéro 1 right now is perking me up.

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. If the fruitchouli-Taliban got a hold of you they would most likley torture you by letting you inhale "Fantasy" or the likes of it for hours..

    Up untill now I didn't hear a thing about those Numbers by l'Artisan. For a woman who writes at night and doesn't sleep you certainly keep up with things.
    Will have to keep an eye out for those.

    Thanks for keeping us posted and please join Jicky for small catnaps, we don't want you to get all stressed out.

    RépondreSupprimer
  8. Illdone, the Mon Numéro collection was just presented yesterday in its new guise, which explains why you didn't hear of it yet. The scents themselves were kind of stood there in the boutiques for months, but I admit I'd never given them more than a cursory sniff: there were just too many to take on at one go, always the problem with this type of collection.
    As for catnaps, every time I try to lie down the little minx comes purring into my arms, so loudly I can't doze off!

    RépondreSupprimer
  9. Actually, I was considering sending out a search party, but I had a feeling you were locked away in your garrett.

    Hope the writing's going well!

    RépondreSupprimer
  10. Persolaise, there was really no time to write both things at this stage. Now taking a break from the book while the editor reads it... to write a new lecture for the LCF.Ooof!

    RépondreSupprimer
  11. Glad to hear you're still kicking and that I'm one step closer to reading your book. Hang in there, kiddo.

    RépondreSupprimer
  12. Hon, I'm nowhere near done yet! Still a few chapters to write, not to mention all the edits... And nine-count-em-nine new perfumes to keep me company while I type away.

    RépondreSupprimer
  13. You and Duchaufour have indeed been busy!

    Color me intrigued. I shall await your reports, amused in the meantime by the phrase "oligarchian arm candy."

    Carry on...

    RépondreSupprimer
  14. ScentScelf, he's one of the people keeping me busy with that tremendous output... Nine at one go, I'll take a while to catch up!

    RépondreSupprimer
  15. Oooh! I hope I'll have a chance to try these! Thanks for the heads-up, Denyse!

    RépondreSupprimer
  16. Karin, I've been trying my samples and there's already an amber I find quite attractive... Don't know which city will nab it as an exclusive, though.

    RépondreSupprimer